Friday, July 11, 2008

In defense of Michigan...

Okay, this post isn't about Landon either. Crazy, I know....but something has to be cleared up. This is for all of my Southern friends who think that Michigan is only militia, nascar fans, and rednecks (wait…oops, my bad...nascar fans AND rednecks--that is a bit redundant--sorry 'bout that). Anyway, I know that Michigan gets a bad reputation and all but seriously, let me teach you a little somethin’. I mean, sure, these guys are from Michigan:

BUT let's put aside the stereotypes, people. You know, we have really famous people that are from there too.


Hmmm--maybe they aren’t the best examples either.

BUT--below is lake Michigan. It is fabulous--it is the beach without gross, suffocating salty water. AND, it doesn’t have the creepy things that can kill you like the ocean does. It’s a win-win, really. AND, it's just ONE of the Great Lakes (5 points to anyone who can name them all without looking them up)




And look at how pretty Michigan is in the fall.


OOOOHHHH AAAAAHHHHHH, right?

I mean, for real. It's beautiful.

Check out the winter (OH—and that fabulous couple! What an adorable hubby and wife…RIGHT?!)



So yes, my Southern friends, the next time you hear a snarky comment about Michigan, maybe you can tell them that you know someone from the great state who is pretty darn cool. And maybe, JUST maybe you'll tell them something you've learned here today. So, come on--without looking it up, what are the 5 great lakes? Remember, I'm a teacher--I'll know if you cheat...

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Ontario, Michigan, Superior...there I give you three. You look hot in your wedding picture, Kim. Very non-ho-baggish. Also...I have never dogged on Michigan. I have a very nice uncle, aunt, and cousins who live there and I have spent some time at the University of Michigan (for the International Future Problem Solvers competition people!!!! Boo-yeah!!).

Sarah said...

Erie? Is that one more?

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

Yes, the sisters have FOUR! ONE more....anyone? ANYONE?

So, Sarah....1st Star Wars? NOW the IFPS competition? I'll say it again--NERDY.

Sarah said...

I wear that label proudly, Kim. I'm not an assistant principal for nothing...

The Robertson Family said...

Huron!!!

Right? And hey, I went to college in Mississippi and my husband is from there so I don't throw stones at other states.

Jennifer said...

I'm glad all the lakes were mentioned before I saw this post. We should have known that Sarah would get close since she can also name all 50 states, am I right Rebekah? We have a friend that can name all of the counties and county seats in Texas! Now that's nerdy!

Rebekah said...

I can't name all 50 states so I can't begin to name obscure lakes. Just FYI, my sister, darling girl that she is, brought me over a USA map poster with no names on the states so I could practice. I missed Michigan.

pink is the new black said...

I can name and label all 50 states...remember fifty nifty United States from 13 original colonies...anyway, it was a song...as for Michigan...I used to live in North Carolina AND Alabama...2 states that DEF. boast Nascar and redneck...I don't judge...my daughter was BORN in Alabama so I'm screwed...

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

Yeah, your daughter was born in Alabama and you have a shirt or two from there, right? You're screwed for sure.

Ladies, here's a little trick in case you ever need to know the Great Lakes (you know, for all those nights you play Trivia Pursuit). H O M E S
Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Erie
Superior

Just doin' what I can to make the world a smarter place...

DLV said...

First of all, I cannot believe you posted that picture of those 2 nasty looking guys and claimed them to be from Michigan! I must defend and say that we are not like that up here people! And hey, you forgot our other Detroit-area native -> Madonna. Maybe not highly regarded for her morals, but didn't you all want to dress like her in 8th grade? :-)

P.S. - I bet there's an alternative meaning for the "naughty room"? Hmm?

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

Yeah, Deb...I thought about putting pics of Madonna but after the pics of Kid Rock and Eminem, I really didn't know how much more I wanted to admit to. Well, that and Ted Nugent...don't know where he is from but he lives in Michigan now. Oh, the pride....

And what? You've never met "Uncle Joe and Uncle Ron?" You know, the 2 guys in the picture. Maybe at the next family reunion. : )